RE: Garden Vandalism

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Garden Vandalism
  • From: "Pohl-Kosbau, Leslie" <PKLESLIE@ci.portland.or.us>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:11:35 -0700

Scott,
This is a trick that happen occasionally at gardens, though it is not
common. There are ways to prevent this kind of wanton vandalism, short of a
fence. The water system could have a shut-off that is installed on the main
line in a locked box in the ground. It would have a combination known only
to the gardeners. This would have to be turned on each time the gardeners
want to water (maybe for the day). Fencing may be a long term option,
especially if you have any problem with dogs, or people just straying into
the garden to help themselves to some free produce.

Be sure to join the American Community Gardening Association, check out
www.communitygarden.org . There is a conference in New York City July
25-28th.

Hope your season is a good one, and there is no more vandalism.

Your municipal neighbor,

Leslie Pohl-Kosbau
Portland Community Gardens