Fruit Tree Questions

  • Subject: [cg] Fruit Tree Questions
  • From: Jeneva Storme <jenevastorme@yahoo.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 11:40:22 -0400 (EDT)

The design for the inner city community garden and
park that I am working on includes a small (VERY
small) fruit orchard.  We're trying to figure out how
to get a good amount of fruit out of a small space --
six trees in the design at the moment.  I would
personally like to use native fruit as much as
possible, and was looking at wild plum.  The other
person working on the design leans towards a mix of
plum and apple.  I haven't got input from the
gardeners themselves yet, I'll have to get them
together to ask their opinion.  What they mostly want
so far is space for gardening, which means that we
want the trees to take up as little space as possible
while still providing beauty and fruit.

The question of cross-pollination has come up.  Apples
require at least two different varieties to
cross-pollinate in order to produce fruit.  I can't
find any mention of cross-pollination in the
information on wild plum that I've found so far.  Does
anyone know if wild plums, or other native fruit
trees, need a variety of pollen sources, or is this
requirement a peculiarity of cultivated species?

Greening West Broadway Coordinator
"Neighbourhood Solutions for Community Change"

West Broadway Development Corporation
640 Broadway, Winnipeg, MB  R3C 0X3
phone: 774-3534  fax: 779-2203

Movies, Music, Sports, Games! http://entertainment.yahoo.ca