Re: a bit of "composting" advice please

  • Subject: Re: [cg] a bit of "composting" advice please
  • From: Lekoma Akate lekoma216@cox.net
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:43:27 -0500

Judy,

We are not experts in the field of compost, though we do compost a good bit.
From experience, there seems to be no real issue with digging in coffee
grounds.  As long as it is not excessive, proportionally to the soil.  The
egg shells will not decompose quickly, so even in compost, they can come
through the process in tact.  They are very slow releasing calcium source.
Just as hair, untreated, is a slow releasing nitrogen source.  Nature puts
down layers of plant material to decompose on a regular basis.

Bottom line...seems that it would not be harmful to dig in the items you
mentioned.  Just be aware that the coffee grounds could acidify the soil if
too much is used.

Happy Gardening,
Lekoma Akate
New Orleans