Re: RFI: community gardens in England

on 20/03/2000 4:21 PM, Honigman, Adam at Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com wrote:

> Andy:
> Weren't all the English commons enclosed during the 19th century? (Ok, just
> kidding.) I know you have them all over England, I don't know if they have
> any web presence of if there is anything like the American Community
> Gardening Association in the US, or similar Canadian organizations. Check
> out the web links of the ACGA http://www.communitygarden.org/index.html .
> For issues like organizing community gardening please reseach the articles
> on this listserv http://www.community_garden@mallorn.com . There are
> numerous German community gardening sites to check out as well and I
> wouldn't be suprised if they didn't know of yoru local organization.
> Good luck!
> Adam
Adam and all,

In England rather than community gardens there are allotments . One of the
oldest, Uplands Allotments Association, has been in existence since 1948. I
think they are a little different than our community gardens but check their
national association homepage  and see some very familiar problems with
encroaching development. The organization which is like ACGA is NSALG
(National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners)