RE: Community Garden Awards

Teva:

Your awards program sounds great. We do something similar at our New York
City garden for outstanding volunteers ( the "John Carney" and the "Heart of
the Garden" awards for great volunteers.

http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org

The model that I like best is used to recognize superior customer service at
the company that I work for. The award, named after a particularly honored
and loved former C.E.O., is announced at our annual meeting. Each office of
our company, from Atlanta to Zilnia, Slovakia  nominate their local heroes.
This way all nominess get honored, written-up in inter-company newsletters
and thanked with a nice check, certificate, etc. Their names are read at the
annual meeting.  The company wide winner is flown and put up in NY,  asked
to take a bow and accept her/his award at our annual meeting where they get
applause, get some media, you get the idea.

The whole international group nominates and puts its seal of approval on the
winners.  This way everyone has a stake in the company wide winner and
respects the outcome. The criteria were developed by self-identified company
criteria, what we call our "Quality Journey."

Might I suggest you do the same with your local gardeners? This way the
award is less like the lotto and gains significance and resonance in your
community.

Best wishes,

Adam Honigman