Re: 'self interest asset matrix'

  • Subject: Re: [cg] 'self interest asset matrix'
  • From: "Greg Lecker" <glecker@michaudcooley.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 09:55:28 -0600

On 21 Mar 2002 at 13:12, SoleilPaz@aol.com wrote:

Hi All,

We have jumped the first hurdle in our formal process of becoming a
real live CG by getting voted by our local Parks and Rec as an official
"Concept." ....... Now, what I am after is a way to profile our members.
It is called something like a 'self interest asset matrix'. The idea is to
compile information on people's interests, affiliations, and resources
which they are willing to use towards our local CG effort. Anybody
heard of such a thing?

Soleil,

(What a great name for a gardener - doesn't Soleil mean Sun?!)

The Sustainable Resource Center's Urban Lands program in
Minneapolis presented an excellent community gardening series
recently; and included the following instruction on "Asset Mapping",
which I'm assuming is similar to the "Self-interest Asset Matrix" that
you ask about:

- Start with a full 11"x17" sheet or better yet, use a larger sheet of
paper
- Write the name of your garden/garden group in the middle "bubble"
or circle
- Around the the edge of the paper list the names of garden group
members, as well as every related group which you can think of:
neighborhood association, neighbors, apartment dwellers, landowner,
park, government, church, civic group, senior center, youth group,
food shelf, school, newspaper, local businesses, etc.  These are your
"assets"; your garden/garden group is their "asset".
- Draw a line (with or without arrows at each end) between each of
these groups and your garden/community gardening group
- On one side of each line, list what your garden/gardening group can
do for that asset (beautification, reducing maintenance, providing food
for the hungry, providing a meeting place)
- On the other side of each line, list what your asset can do for your
garden/gardening group (volunteers, advertising, legitimacy, land,
water, money, campaigning for permanency)
- Use your "asset map" to go out and recruit volunteers or funding
sources or to cultivate mutually beneficial relationships

It's a great tool and the first time that I had heard of such a technique,
which obviously has applications in any volunteer/fund raising and
even business plans.  Kudos to Perdita Butler & Amie Roberts of the
Sustainable Resource Center/Urban Lands for sharing this
brainstorming technique with our local community gardening groups.
(I'm not sure whether "Asset Mapping" is a trademarked concept or
term.)

Greg Lecker
LightSpaces,
A Vision of Michaud Cooley Erickson