Viruses, real and not

  • Subject: [cg] Viruses, real and not
  • From: Laura Berman <laura@foodshare.net>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:40:54 -0500

Hi Folks,
Before you revile me for sending a virus to you, via ACGA listserve, it
seems that my email address is being used by someone else's virus-laden
computer to replicate itself. This could happen to you, so please read:

 This is how this new type of 3rd party virus works:
1. it picks out names from the virus-infected computer's email address book
2. it replicates itself by sending emails to other people in that same
address book
3. But it disguises itself by saying that it is being sent by me or another
person (could be you) in the address book.
4. There is very little way of knowing just who the person is who is really
infected.

The reason I know it didn't come from me is that I use a Mac and we don't
get most viruses ;-} But I do have up to date virus definitions in my
anti-virus programs, which kills any that are sent to me by PC's.

So scan your computer, after downloading the newest virus definitions and
don't get upset if you receive notices that you have emailed someone else a
virus. Maybe you did, but most likely you didn't.

Cheers,
Laura

-----
Laura Berman
FoodShare Toronto
416-392-6654

October 1-3, 2004--Toronto:
"Gardens of Diversity: Growing Across Cultures"
The 25th Anniversary of the
American Community Gardening Association
www.communitygarden.org