(no subject)

  • Subject: [cg] (no subject)
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:14:49 -0500

 Friends,

First for Ms. Shefali, who undoubted learned to use the word "please," in her native language and picked up the slovenliness with which the word is ingnored or omitted in our current American non-culture from her American peers, I apologize.

It ain't her fault - we have a culture of ungratefulness here in America - we're all "entitled."

Again, Ms. Shefali - it ain't your fault that you can write a request letter without using the word please, you've learned that all you need do is ask - without respecting the giver.  It's part of our culture, now.

We here in America are ungrateful for much of what we are given, our air, land, water, the fecundity of the earth, and prosperity - so much of it comes to us without asking.

Our culture of volunteerism is almost unique, so much so that Western Europeans who tour the Clinton Community Garden or walk through any of our volunteer projects marvel that it's not our govenrment that does it - with paid functionaries - but people taking their non-money-making time to make the world better.  You mean you Americans don't have six week long vacations?

Again, Ms. Shefali - it ain't your fault, and I apologize - our culture is ungrateful.

More than anything else, community gardens depend on volunteers not coordinators, the rank-and-file, the people who decide it's better to garden on a Sunday afternoon, teaching kids to weed and garden, instead of staying in a cool bar, watching the ball game, and checking out the "jiggle."

Again, Ms. Shefali - it ain't your fault, and I apologize - our culture is ungrateful

As an old community gardener, I'm cited in alot of footnotes, shared alot of information with an open hand, advocated for lots of gardens, and have spent YEARS with anthropologists, city planners, documentarians, social workers,  who think we're "cool", and have arranged filming of an awful lot of what we do - making an awful lot of "nice."

These are the same folks who NEVER get their hands dirty in a garden feeding hungry folks and once their project is finished EXPECT US to be grateful that they gave us their attention.

Again, Ms. Shefali - it ain't your fault, and I apologize - our culture is ungrateful.

I'm sorry that I made the mistake of reminding you that community gardening is based on mutual respect - that we say please and thank you to each others - part of our respect for the value that we give and share with each other, with an open hand.

But we community gardeners will keep giving, keep building community from the ground up, and keep giving with an open hand. It's our nature, and our culture.

But again, to Ms. Shefali and those were offended the prickliness of this old volunteer community gardener, I apologize.

Everbest,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer
Clinton Community Garden

But I'm still very old fashioned - and I don't like the turn our culture has made towards those who give with an open hand, who figure our labor, knowledge, and caring doesn't deserve the word, and the meaning of the

It will make everyone, especially the politically correct, feel much better.