RE: what's appropriate for this list?

  • Subject: RE: [cg] what's appropriate for this list?
  • From: "Jack N. Hale" <jackh@knoxparks.org>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 13:00:19 -0400

Hi folks-

As one who has taken advantage of this list serve to get some horticultural info, I want to weigh in on behalf of allowing plant questions on the list.  For some of us, “gardening” is not the important word in “community gardening,” but every once in a while we need some information that is beyond our local garden experts and we’re not up to date on resources out there in web land.  I know we don’t want the list serve to become garden advice for everyone with an African Violet or a backyard landscape, but it makes sense that some plant questions might be answered here.  Perhaps the best answers are those that refer people to good resources, and I know some people get that kind of help.  We probably also need to keep working to make the ACGA web site a good source of links to such resources.

My thinking is that the community garden network is rich because it includes such a wide range of folks.  We should take advantage of that.  Not only that, but the community garden point of view on some plant questions is sometimes different from the backyard gardener angle.  In particular, the multicultural aspect of community gardening can really be useful.  I’d hate to see some of that richness lost by an arbitrary restriction on plant questions.  Finally, if we try to restrict questions to those related to community gardening, we get back into that old question of what constitutes a community garden – 2 people sharing a plot, marigolds in a sidewalk tree pit, a collective neighborhood farm, etc.

I’d like to suggest, rather than asking Anna to screen messages for horticultural content, that those of us active on the list maintain some kind of discipline around responses to plant questions(e.g.-focus on referring to resources, respond directly to the questioner rather than the list on such postings, send a stock response describing the purpose of the list).

Regardless, please wait a little while on any strict regulation.  I have a plant question I want to post later today.

Jack Hale