evergreen that sheds its needles?

We have a tree in our backyard that sheds its needles every fall.  The first fall we lived here, we thought it was dead, but come Spring time, it turned yellow (about now), shed its soft needles, and sprouts all over and is beautiful again.  This tree is about 4 feet tall, and slumps over naturally in a hanging pattern with long branches descending to the ground.
Is this a pine or what?  We live in Salem, Oregon