RE: evergreen that sheds its needles?

There are several species of needle bearing trees that drop their needles
entirely in the winter. Of course ALL trees drop leaves, wheather
broadleaves or needles, every year, but most coniferous trees do not loose
all their needles at once in the winter months. Hence you will always see a
pile of brown needles under coniferous forests and such.

Larix is the genus of larch trees and they typically turn very yellow in the
fall before dropping their needles for the winter. Some people consider it a
pretty shade of yellow. There are varieties of Larix, which have been bred
for ornamental purposes which weeps, you can find several of these varieties
in the better nurseries and in most good nursery catalogs.

I believe it is Larix decidua var. pendulosa but not sure and don't have my
Dirr with me.

=====================
David-Iman Adler, RLA
Landscape Architect