FW: Questions on by-laws and elections for Community Gardens

  • To: "Community Gardening List" <community_garden@mallorn.com>
  • Subject: [cg] FW: Questions on by-laws and elections for Community Gardens
  • From: "Dawn Johns" <djohns@pennhort.org>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 12:47:24 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Slater [mailto:delgator@earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, October 25, 1999 4:45 PM
To: djohns@pennhort.org; KarenPayne@compuserv.com

My name is Mark Slater and I am a member of a community garden in
Colorado Springs, CO. Our garden is run by an Executive Committee which
is elected at an annual garden meeting. However, in the garden's
fourteen year history we have had only one president of the Executive
Committee. It has gotten to the point where this individual who is
president has turned the garden into her 'fiefdom'. She nominates all
board members who are then 'elected' with no challenges. The committee
meetings are held at her house and though open to the membership the
meetings are never announced. The garden rules are written and generally
enforced by the same person. And, unfortunately she has no intention of
stepping down. I know of a number of people who have left the gardens
because of conflicts with this individual.
       At the same time, the president is a good gardener whose whole
life revolves around the garden. The members who I have talked to
concerning the 'dictatorship' are concerned that if she is defeated in a
true election that her heart will be broken. Hence, she is bound to stay
in office.
        The only idea that I have come up with is changing the by-laws
of the association by introducing limited terms of office. My questions
to you are the following:
1. Do other gardens that you know of had similar problems, and if so,
how did they solve them ?
2. Is there a precedence of term limits in the governing boards of other
gardens?
3. Do you have any other suggestions?
I would appreciate any ideas or comments that you have.

Sincerely,
Mark Slater
delgator@earthlink.net