farm or garden?

Hey folks,

i was discussing community gardens as they deal with issues of social and
environmental justice when my friend asked me how people within the
community garden/urban ag. field distinguish between a farm and a garden.
For example, could a large community garden be classified as a community
farm or are there other components besides the scale? (such as ownership,
use of the harvest, purpose of the garden/farm).  We were thinking about
justice issues that tend to have to do with farming, such as pesticide
use/exposure, farmworkers' rights, organic ag., CSA farms, etc.  Then we
tried to think of justice issues associated with gardens such as poverty
alleviation, social organizing, food security, community building, etc.

My questions for you are, what do you see as the difference between farms
and gardens, especially community-oriented ones?  Also, what do you see as
some of the justice issues surrounding the two?  Or, what do you see as
the value of different types of community agriculture projects? I am
working on this as a senior thesis and would love to hear your critical
discussion of some of the deeper themes of cg's to keep all of us engaged
and motivated.

thank you so much, and i apologize for the lengthy note,

kirsten walter
lewiston, ME

		Hands on the Earth
	   we remember where the source