RE: gardening grants available?

  • Subject: RE: [cg] gardening grants available?
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 11:30:18 -0500

Why don't you try playing with these grants listed on the ACGA grants page?

Hints for writing grants:

1) Clear, grammatically correct, concise, impeccably spelled and  punctuated
submissions are essential. Poorly written submissions are vetted as a matter
of course.
"The Elements of Style, 3rd Edition" by William Strunk, Jr. and E.B. White
should be on every grant writer's table. The $5.95 paperback edition with
index(Copyright 1979, Allyn & Bacon -
ISBN: 0-205-19158-4)  should be available at your local bookstore or

2) Xerox the form (if it is not available from the web) and type your draft
on it. You don't want to blot your one good copy. If a separate document is
allowed, take this option and create a beautiful, clean document.

3) PROOFREAD! Have as many eyes vet your document as possible before it goes
into the mail.

4) Follow grant givers instructions to the "nth" degree. Most grantors find
themselves overwhelmed by the sheer volume of applications.  Your reader may
be the corporate counsel, an outside advertising firm or a harrassed
secretary who got all of the applications dumped on her desk at 4:55 p.m. as
a, "Do me a favor, when you get to it," deal.

5) Courage! If you don't apply, you will never get a shot at that money!

Luck and good karma always helps.  American Community Gardening Association
members who have paid their dues are always karmically positioned to get
better grants. If you haven't paid your dues, you will undoubtedly fail :)

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman

All thing being equal, sometimes it gets to "eeny meeny minie moe, this
grant gets accepted!"

I am not kidding.