Re: Gardening with kids

Hi there:

I am a lurker on this list and couldn't resist the oppoortunity to plug my
organization. I work with Life Lab Science Program in Santa Cruz, CA.  Our
focus is on professional development for teachers.  Our projects involve
training teachers to incorporate gardening with kids in all aspects of
their teaching. In addition to science education, we also focus on English
language development, literacy, resource conservation and nutrition

Our web site (http://www.lifelab.org) is geared for adults, but our
curricula, The Growing Classroom: Garden Based Science, and Life Lab
Science (Grades K-5), IS cool, fun and kid-centered!

Let's Get Growing (http://www.letsgetgrowing.org) is a Santa Cruz-based
mail order company that sells our curriculum and a wide array of products
for kids and adults interested in nature, gardening, ecology and the

There are many (too many to list!) other organizations interested in
promoting gardening with kids. Here are a few that I can think of:

The Food Systems Project (Berkeley, CA)

Center for Ecoliteracy (Berkeley, CA)

Texas A & M Extension (TX)

UC Davis Children's Garden (Davis, CA)

The Banana Slug String Band (Santa Cruz, CA)

Occidental College Farmer's Market Fruit and Salad Bar Program (Santa
Monica, CA) http://www.oxy.edu/departments/pperc/publications/salad2.htm

Please contact me off-list if you would like any more information about
Life Lab's workshops, projects or materials.

Courtney Walsh
Education & Outreach Coordinator
Life Lab Science Program
fax: 831/459-3483