CFS Conference will continue

  • Subject: [cg] CFS Conference will continue
  • From: ASFisher@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:29:01 EDT

The Community Food Security Coalition is still planning to hold its fifth
annual Community Food Security Conference in Washington DC from October 6th
through 9th. Bringing people together to further the work of community
building and community empowerment, providing healthy and fresh food for all,
supporting small local farmers, and growing and producing food in a
sustainable way is as powerful a need as ever. The experiences of member
organizations like the Hartford Food System which last weekend brought
together 500 Connecticut residents underline the importance of this and
similar gatherings. Last weekend, the farmersí market in Washington DC was
also opened and was overflowing with shoppers. Farm Aid is also planning to
hold its benefit concert and earmark funds for those farmers and food-related
organizations directly impacted by the events of September 11th.

People need to come together and participate in these kinds of gatherings and
places where common values and goals can be shared. Community food security
is one small though important strategy for creating a more just, sustainable,
and peaceful society, whether in our communities in this country or around
the world. Moreover, our message of building food secure communities is more
important than ever in the face of emergency planning and the possibility of
transportation disruptions.

Please join us in Washington DC for discussions and renewal of our message
and goals. For more information on the conference, see our website at
www.foodsecurity.org, or contact our office at 310-822-5410.