Ripple Effect from the WTC Blast - Keeping One's Chin Up

  • Subject: [cg] Ripple Effect from the WTC Blast - Keeping One's Chin Up
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:26:27 -0400

I just got this note from a garden family with very young children that
depends on a waiter's salary to make ends meet in Manhattan. Like many of us
who are community gardening families ( and like most Americans) we live from
paycheck to paycheck.

This was a note  (edited  to maintain confidentiality)  that I received
minutes ago.

Again, this is a time when we all have to be as kind and supportive as we
can to all Americans,

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman

Well, Everyone,
I hope none of you is suffering. We don't know anyone who was
hurt/killed/missing, but we know many people who do. We, like the rest of
the city, feel alternately blessed and sad, then guilty for feeling sad when
we didn't lose anyone close to us. But we did lose almost 6000 people, some
of whom were firefighters in our neighborhood. That means the guys who
rescued us from our building fire right before my son was born are gone. The
guy who gave me his mask to breathe through is probably gone. My heart
breaks for the clean up crew, the victims and their families.
As if the human loss was not enough, one of the tallest buildings in the
world, one of our NYC icons, is completely leveled. Not there anymore. When
we got into my cousin's car to get out of the city on the day, I noticed a
postcard of downtown. As we drove over the GWB I looked and saw the cloud
and a bunch of common little any-old-city buildings. I looked at the
postcard. Those towers were almost three times taller than any of the other
buildings. I covered them with my thumb. Our new horizon.
And we lost our sense of safety and security. Being in the city feels like
roulette. There was a Dixie band playing cheery songs outside of Birdland,
the jazz club out our back window. At first I thought, that's so great, so
cool of them to play outside and cheer everyone up. We stood in the window
and clapped. They played for awhile. I was watching them and suddenly my
feeling changed. I felt like they were brave. I felt like I was on the
The ripple effect means we haven't seen the full effect of this catastrophe
For starters, the restaurant business ain't what it was two weeks ago. We
have to leave. We decided to go last night, so you are finding out
immediately following our decision.
We have an offer in Florida that's hard to refuse, so we're driving to Ft.
Myers on Friday morning. We'll be gone for about 6 months, which puts us
back in NYC around March. We have sublet our apt, and have an apt there.
I'll send you the exact address when I have it.
I don't want to leave my garden, our friends and community, our home, but we
can't really afford to stay. Frankly, I'm also pretty nervous about living
in the city right now, especially at Times Square... Every time a plane goes
over I feel this deep dread. The city feels so not-quite-right. There are so
many sad people, this was so huge, yet there's this strange "let's just
pretend it never happened" vibe, while it's all anyone talks about. I can't
just sit here waiting for the other shoe to drop.
On a lighter note, our daughter is looking forward to beaches and wildlife,
spending time with her Mio (my mom), fishing and writing to her friends. Our
son keeps saying "Mio, Mio? Car, car?", and the cats just like the boxes
(little do they know...). I'll finally get my driver's license! We'll learn
to play golf!
So, dahling, we're wintering at the beach. We'll keep everyone posted. Wish
us luck on the 2 day drive. We wish all of you all the best.
Our sincere love and best wishes,