Re: Subject Matter

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Subject Matter
  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower@snip.net>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:10:52 -0400

Len wrote:
>Am I the only one or is anyone else beginning lose interest in this forum.

It's the times, Len -- if you think this list is bad, you should check out
the Market Farming List!  The delete key is one of the most valuable on your
keyboard! ;-)

> It is taking on the appearance of a political rally center.

I'm guessing your community garden is not on the East Coast.  (If it is, I
think I want to visit -- even after winning the Community Garden Sweepstakes
Award at the Philadelphia Harvest Show this last weekend, I've still got
"neighbors" who don't want my messy garden [okay, I was hauling manure for
garlic beds on Saturday, but no one TOLD me there was going to be a swanky
party for the retiring minister at their church that day!] next to their
their tidy new church and have petitioned the Chester County Housing
Authority to replace us with a parking lot [for their church].  I need some
peace, myself! ;-P)

>I can understand that politics does play a roll in the development and
maintenance of a community garden,

Don't ever underestimate it.  The only reason we're still around is that the
Housing Authority loves us -- we save on maintenance costs and have
transformed a site for drinking parties into a safe place for children to
play.  You would think that as often as the Chief of Police goes to visit
that church, he would tell them that the only reason they DON'T have a
vandalism or property damage problem in their parking lot is because the
garden cleared those folks out 3 years before the parking lot was built, but
as it hasn't sunk in, I think I'm going to ask my cousin Ed (who went to
high school with the guy) to suggest it to him.

>but I'm not sure where "saving" the ANWR from drilling or NYC political
shenanigans enter into our basic >mission.  Can we keep our personal
political agendas to ourselves and continue to help each other with
>questions and opportunities pertaining to gardening???

If we don't share our "personal political agendas" and be aware of how the
politicos are making hay out of the current situation, none of us will have
a place to garden.

But then, I'm bitter because 1) I don't trust Ridge as the new head of
"Nightwatch, USA" and 2) I still have 4 more garlic beds worth of manure to

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of