Re: What is a good method of marking garden plots?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] What is a good method of marking garden plots?
  • From: "Garry Schuler" schulerg@msn.com
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:18:18 +0000

RE: Annie, Ollie and Amy Z. question, how to mark a plot.
Here at Willow Stream Farm Community Garden in Woodinville, Washington (where it rains more than in California) I use old PVC pipe and even new pipe that I cut to convenient lengths. I drive them into the ground at a corner of the garden plot. I have tried plastic flagging tied to the PVC stake but have found that the purple stuff you use to prepare PVC for bonding (primer) can be used like paint to mark the plot number on the pipe. That stuff stains the pipe like crazy but isn't real dark so I reinforce the printing with a permanent marker pen. It lasts a pretty long time. The 3/4 inch diameter pipe works best. It is still pretty inexpensive at the big box stores and environmentally neutral.

Garry Schuler