Re: Effectiveness Studies of Community Gardens

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Effectiveness Studies of Community Gardens
  • From: "Jim Call" jimcall@casagarden.com
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:56:58 -0500

Sharon,
Although our garden, the CASA Community Garden is not typical of
the CGs in the ACGA, it does the following for our community.

Offset food costs - With vegetables running about $2.00 per lbs. (Okra is
sky high) this year, our garden so far
has saved the elderly and homebound about $17,000.00 in fresh vegetables.
This harvest is
delivered to their doorstep at no charge.  With a projection of 12,000 to
14,000 lbs harvest this year, you
are looking at about $24,000. to $28,000. savings.   If you look at our
harvest totals since 1994,
this garden project will have yielded over 112,000 lbs with an average per
pound value of $1.49, that's
roughly a $166,000.00 savings!  Not bad for a garden the size of .4 of an
acre operated by volunteers.

Please review harvest totals at...   http://www.casagarden.com/harvest.htm

Avoiding health costs -  When our volunteers deliver vegetables to the CASA
clients, we also distribute
a leaflet focusing on the importance of eating right (fresh vegetables,
etc.).  Hopefully, this is
making an impact on their overall diet which would have an impact on their
health.

Enhancing social values / or other economic/social value -  Please read the
latest "CASA Visits"
interview and judge for yourself, the social impact of having volunteers
using a garden
as the focal point to make a difference in the lives of the needy.

Please review at...   http://www.casagarden.com/the_sisters.htm

This year, I was also the Project Leader for a garden for Homeless Women and
Children.
Please review this story at... http://www.casagarden.com/sapp.htm
Not sure of its overall impact until I meet with its Exec. Director at
year's end.  We
may have to "tweet" the focus of this garden (more toward flowers and less
on vegetables
, i.e. less maintenance) next year.

As you can see, I spend more time in the garden than creating statistical
data.

Hope this helps,

Jim Call, CASA Volunteer Garden Director
                                             www.casagarden.com