RE: Need tips on installing and purchasing park benches

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Need tips on installing and purchasing park benches
  • From: "Jim Call" <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:33:38 -0500

Dorene,
The benches we have in our downtown parks are of 2 types.  Both have heavy
wrought-iron construction frames.  One type has wooden seating and the other
is recycled plastic.  All benches are bolted to a cement slab.  The wooden
ones in our downtown park are sanded and recoated periodically.  Nothing is
done to the recycled plastic ones.  The wooden ones are more aesthetic.

We have a 5' teak bench at the CASA Community Garden.  It has to be
pressure-washed yearly to renew it.  See at...
http://www.casagarden.com/img_01/bench.jpg   It has a brass plaque honoring
devoted garden volunteers who have passed away.

We have secured our bench as well.  Whatever you decide, securing it is
mandatory unless its resides in a safe environent.

Earlier this year, thieves stole the tops off many of city's picnic tables
and were selling them for scrap at metal dealers.  Arrests were made soon
thereafter.

If you go with wooden benches, protect them otherwise they will rot.
Recycled plastic is expensive.  An all metal bench may be be too hot to sit
on during hot summer months.

If the bench is to be placed in an open garden area, perhaps a landscape
design surrounding it would enhance its beauty.

Using Google or Yahoo searching for "park benches" displays many dealers.

I would also advise that you seek out all the "garden clubs" in your area.
You may find one who is willing to donate a "bench" for your "community"
garden.  One club locally, saved their aluminum cans for a year, recycled
them, then using the proceeds purchased a recycled plastic bench for a city
park.

Jim