Re: Starting a community garden

There is a little old book that has been republished in paper back called
"Five Acres and Independence", originally published in the 1930s, this
book discusses land evaluation (and many other farming ideas).    This
book is a classic on basic farming.
	In different parts of the country you will want different land.   In the
north, a south facing slope will warm up earlier in the year.    Fruit
trees on a north facing slope will bloom later.    Where you have a lot
of rain, you want drainage, if you want to grow celery, you want muck
land ~ low with lots of organic matter in it.    Different strokes for
different folks; there is land suitable for almost anything you want to
grow; but it is not the same land for everything and if you choose
carefully, you won't have to ammend the soil as much as some other land
would require.

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999 12:45:18 -0400  Joey Nichols <jnichols@MIKEEASLEY.org>