Re: Re: Killing Platycerium an Essay

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Re: Killing Platycerium an Essay
  • From: "carol noel" carolnoel2000@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:46:44 +0000

Dan -thanks for the info on Miracle Gro...I hit my orchids with it from
time to time...will try the Platys.

>From: Dan Clemons >Reply-To: ferns@hort.net >To: ferns@hort.net
>Subject: Re: [ferns] Re: Killing Platycerium an Essay >Date: Mon, 26 Aug
2002 10:26:04 -0700 (PDT) > >Hi Carol: > >You are doing nothing wrong. It
is likely that you >are not watering often enough with your hose to cause
>a problem. I know of no one who has ever lost a plant >because of rain.
As I stated in the essay, Mother >Nature has taught Platycerium how to
protect its bud >from rotting due to excess moisture. The gist of the
>essay was that Platycerium like to be kept damp to >moist but never wet
for extended periods. I too kept >a P. Bifurcatum cv Florida Beauty alive
for 14 years >on bananas. I am sorry to report that a lot of pups >died
due to my over watering with a hose. > >My plants respond well to a mild
feeding of Miracle >Grow every other week. > >Dan > > Platycerium like to
be kept damp to moist. >--- carol noel wrote: > > Aloha - I have never
posted...but have to tell you > > all that I have become > > totally
paranoid about my Platyceriums due to the > > latest chats. Mine are > >
mounted on large trees, in the shade and have been > > growing happily
these > > past 8 months...sending out new shields, new fronds > > new
whatevers while > > enjoying the 160" of rain per year. When it doesn't >
> rain I squirt them > > with a spray of water from the hose. From time
to > > time I throw banana > > peels behind their shields and they grow
and grow > > and grow. > > > > It rains all over them often...nearly
every night. > > > > They are still alive and thriving. > > > > What am I
doing wrong? > > > > Cheers, Carol - just a fern-fan and budding > >
fern-addict. > > > > >From: "philip crabb" >Reply-To: ferns@hort.net >To:
> > ferns@hort.net > > >Subject: [ferns] Re: Killing Platycerium an Essay
> > >Date: Sun, 25 Aug > > 2002 22:53:21 -0500 > >Hi Fern-netters, > >My
> > experience is quite the > > opposite. I am not an expert, but I,
>too, have the > > friends, who shall > > remain nameless, who are. I've
>never lost a > > Platycerium to rot, but only > > to my greed at trying
to >harvest a pup when it was > > too small; and I once > > let a P.
andinum get >too dry and lost it. I have > > 250 plants and I > >
submerge them until >they're soaked every week. > > > >It's not, in my >
> experience, how wet a staghorn gets, or what parts > > >get wet, it's
how > > fast it dries out. My plants dry in 3 to 4 days. > > >Knowing
your plant, > > your moss, the thickness of moss pad, the >tightness > >
of your mount, your > > environment, and your drying time is >critical. >
> > >I've worked to develop > > the environment that supports this
growing >style, > > and my results are > > very satisfying. I grow only
12 of the >species (so > > far), and many > > cultivars, and none of the
plants is so >huge that I > > cannot do the > > soaking. But the day is
coming soon, so > > >arrangements will be made. We've > > got livestock
tanks, and block and >tackle, so I > > don't anticipate a > > problem.
The great cost is in time, >in my case time > > spent quite > >
enjoyably, as a hobby should be. > >The hazard of > > this method, as has
> > been pointed out, is the >possibility of passing > > pests and
diseases from > > plant to plant. > >I fully recognize that this > >
method will not work in > > many, and >possibly most, growing situations.