Re: Re: Killing Platycerium an Essay

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Re: Killing Platycerium an Essay
  • From: "peter strong" pstrong@mweb.co.za
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 20:15:43 +0200

I, ve  been  following  your  messages  on  the subject of Platyceriums with
great  interest.
We  germinate/propagate some 2/3,000 Plat seedlings  per year,  ( this
appears  to be  the market  for them  in  South  Africa )  and they  are
watered  with  all  our  other fern seedlings  using  a  hose  pipe with  a
fine nozzle.  Most days  they  get watered every  day, however if  it  is
very  cold say  below 10 C  we refrain  from  watering, but then  only  for
2 days at the most. Our  mother stock  are mounted on  palm  trees  out in
the  open, and they  are watered  by  overhead irrigation. As  long  as the
plant  is wet we are satisfied, and they  appear  to  be  as well.
As  to  fertilizing, we use  liquid material  and that is about  all.
Occasionally  we seem  to  get a few  white fly   when  it gets real  hot
and  dry, and we spray  to  control  that. We  find them   easy  plants  to
grow.    If  you  want  to learn about  Plat's,  read  Keith  Rogers page.
the way  the spore you sent  me  of  the Plat cross, Keith,  are   now
lovely plants  in  8 inch pot size, and look  very  interesting  plants.
My  advice  to you who  appear  to  be having problems  is,   keep  it
simple,  and observe how other plants  readily  grow  about  you, they  are
the key in  many cases.