RE: Cool growing Ferns for Houseplants?

  • Subject: RE: Cool growing Ferns for Houseplants?
  • From: "Guertin, Darryl A. (North Houston)" <cjlm7@allstate.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:14:38 -0600

Hmm, not a whole lot in the way of exotics that will grown out in Z5.  I
usually try to 'zone back' by one, so being in z9a, I try to stick with
things that will survive in 8a.  That being said, I have plenty that I
wouldn't leave out even through October, and I'm in Houston!  If you're
really just obsessed (like me) any fern is a good fern, and you should
be able to grow plenty of seriously cool ones.  In fact, two of my
favourites, Osmunda regalis and Matteuccia struthiopteris, will thrive