Re: Re: Imidacloprid

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Re: Imidacloprid
  • From: xfaberman@sprynet.com
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 12:48:29 -0500

Imidacloprid in systemic form is available to hobby gardeners at major
garden centers under the name Bayer Advanced Garden Tree & Shrub Insect
Control. Although formulated as a systemic insecticide for trees and
shrubs, I use it at the rate of 1 ounce per gallon of water to water
potted plants affected by scale, mealy bugs and white flies (it is
overkill to use it on aphids and it is not very effective against spider
mites). As I mentioned, it has proven highly effective against root
mealy bugs, which are unaffected by mechanical treatments, oils, soaps
and predators because they are snug and safe on the underground roots.

EXTOXNET can provide you with details on the toxicology of the product:

Thus far, I have not had any phytotoxic reactions although EXTOXNET
states that "It can be phytotoxic if it is not used according to
manufacturer's specifications...."

Note that I am extremely wary of insecticides since my garden is filled
with native plants (I'm the author of the book "A Gardener's Guide to
Florida's Native Plants") and I do not want to injure any of the many
insects, butterflies, birds, frogs, reptiles, and feral cats that
frequent my garden, and many of which make their homes among my potted
plants. I was especially delighted to discover that EXTOXNET could find
"no account of human poisoning" and had to speculate as to what the
symptoms of imidacloprid poisoning in humans would be.