Re: Fighting the fuzz

I've found that the safest spray for scales and mealybugs is orthene wettable powder. It now goes under other names, but if you have a feed & seeds store that caters to gardeners and farmers, they should be able to help you. It is important that you get the wettable powder as the petroleum carriers in most sprays are what does the major damage in ferns. Just a word or warning. When you open the package it SMELLS. Don't let this bother you as it has very little smell when mixed with water, and it is not particularly toxic. p.s. I've used this on many ferns including maidenhairs, Bostons, etc. and haven't seen any damage. Duane Petersen

Guertin, Darryl A. (North Houston) wrote:

Anyone have a good solution for fighting the white fuzz I've got on my
ferns?  I've relegated several ferns to the outdoors since they
developed a scale (?) problem, but with the collection I've got, I
really don't want to run the risk of this going viral and taking over
the yard.  I made the mistake of bringing in one fern last year that it
turns out had been under a tree with a scale infestation, and now I'm up
a creek.  I know ferns are notorious for sensitivity to pesticides and
such, and every label I've read says 'not for ferns,' or something
equally as cautionary...  Do any of these garlic sprays or whatever
actually work?

  Thanks much all!

    Darryl