Re: Fighting the fuzz

Hi All!
Won't use Orthene.  Nasty stuff.
I've had great success with Safe-T-Side oil on many ferns (not maidenhairs).
Slight damage, but kills the scale.

Also, for earwigs, cutworms, sowbugs, pillbugs, and slugs I use a new
product (to me, anyway) Sluggo-Plus.  It contains spinosad, a
naturally occurring soil dwelling bacterum and iron phosphate.  So
far it's been effective.

Shelley

At 12:38 PM 1/14/2008, you wrote:
>Anyone have a good solution for fighting the white fuzz I've got on my
>ferns?  I've relegated several ferns to the outdoors since they
>developed a scale (?) problem, but with the collection I've got, I
>really don't want to run the risk of this going viral and taking over
>the yard.  I made the mistake of bringing in one fern last year that it
>turns out had been under a tree with a scale infestation, and now I'm up
>a creek.  I know ferns are notorious for sensitivity to pesticides and
>such, and every label I've read says 'not for ferns,' or something
>equally as cautionary...  Do any of these garlic sprays or whatever
>actually work?
>
>    Thanks much all!
>
>      Darryl

Shelley Dillard
Propagator
Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania
100 Northwestern Ave.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19118
phone:  215-247-5777 x118
email:  rdillard@pobox.upenn.edu
web site:  http://www.morrisarboretum.org

There are two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a
miracle.  The other is as though everything is a miracle.
Albert Einstein