Re: Fighting the fuzz

  • Subject: Re: Fighting the fuzz
  • From: Riley2362@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:56:37 EST

In a message dated 1/14/2008 11:24:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dpetersen11@cox.net writes:

I've  found that the safest spray for scales and mealybugs is orthene
wettable  powder.

I certainly agree that this insecticide works well for scale and mealybugs,
but in my experience it is quite toxic.  It is a systemic and I have even
used it as a soil drench in desperation.  I only use it outdoors, away from  fish
and humans but then I wonder how many beneficial insects I am killing in  the
process?  I think it is quite toxic and wonder how much of it permeates  my
latex gloves.  I'd like to know more about its toxicity.
Michael Riley in NYC