Re: Chemical opinion - follow up

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Chemical opinion - follow up
  • From: "Ralph Archer" <ralpharcher@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:38:18 -0500

Hi All
A material I used for scale is commercially sold here as Sevin.  I recently
treated two species of Staghorn fern without damage to the plants  It took
several applications over several months during the summer to clean up the
plants.  So far there are no signs of re-infestation.

The active ingredient is carbaryl ( 1-napthyl N-methylcarbamate ). The label
lists  "Brown Soft Scale" on fruit crops and  "Scale Insects" on woody
plants and ornamentals.  Down side is that it is toxic to bees exposed to
treated blooming plants as well as to aquatic invertebrates.  Per the label,
it can cause injury to Maidenhair fern as well as Boston ivy, Virginia
creeper and several pine tree vanities.  It is labeled for use
around buildings and other outdoor areas away from areas that have surface
water present.  I have never used it indoors.

Ralph in Shelbyville, KY USA