RE: Adiantum whiteii

 Hi, everyone,

just wanted to put in a plug for the correct name: Adiantum hispidulum
var. whitei

It is not a hybrid, but a form of the very variable apomictic species
Adiantum hispidulum, where the main rachis is bipinnate rather than
pinnate. It is distinguished from all other varieties of hispidulum by
the presence of small stiff hairs among the sporangia on the underside of
the false indusia. Still quite common around the eastern D'Aguilar Ranges
just W of Brisbane.

I've put a photo onto my web page:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pbostock/

Peter

Peter Bostock, Principal Botanist, Queensland Herbarium, Brisbane,
Australia