(ferns) hot-houses etc and keeping excessive heat out

  • Subject: [ferns] (ferns) hot-houses etc and keeping excessive heat out
  • From: "Brian Swale" <bj@caverock.net.nz>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:08:22 +1200

Hello all

I am somewhat surprised that there has been little mention of common
measures that are used to reduce the heating effect of direct sunlight on

One is to erect a barrier of synthetic shadecloth on / over the exterior of the
hot-house.  This method results in a significant reduction of incident energy.

The second is to paint the very old and inexpensive paint named "whitewash"
in the interior of the glasshouse.

I just did a Google search for this and found a variety of recipes. - as follows: