Re: New vine

S. seaforthianum, but who's counting.

Thanks, Kitty. I suspect the USDA zone is in the 9a-11 range. Maybe 8b-11 with dormant winters.

On Apr 11, 2005, at 5:09 PM, Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center wrote:

Jim, I can't remember which species of Solanum you've got and still can't
access internet from here. But I'm looking at Botanica, which does a better
job on warm plant zones than cold plant zones. I see one, S. crispum,
Chilean Potato Tree - pretty close to Brazil! - which says Zone8-10. The
flowers are more lavender but it does have a cultivar, S.c. 'Glasnevin'
which has deep blue flowers, much as yours appeared. Also in the same
neighborhood is S. rantonnetii, Paraguay Nightshade with violet-blue
flowers, but it shows Zones 9-10

Kitty
----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] New vine

Wish I could say it did. A2Z says 45 to 50 degrees minimum [no zone
that I could see]. Sunset, which uses its own zones [not USDA's], says
it's hardy to 19 degrees. Not sure I trust either of them. Spent some
time today modifying the irrigation system so they [we bought two for
opposite corners of the lathhouse] will be watered once planted. Will
try to get them planted tomorrow. About this time next year, they ought
to be ripe for cuttings.