Re: Fwd: Hofstra show

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Fwd: Hofstra show
  • From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" 4042N15@nationalhearing.com
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:28:45 -0600

From Botanica's glossary:
Herbaceous - In botany, the adjective describing herbs.  But among
gardeners, it is used for perennial plants which die down to the ground each
year, for example, delphiniums.

IMO, a bulb MAY be an herbaceous perennial according to the definition, but
only if they hadn't written an additional category for bulbs.  Realize too,
that some bulbs are evergreen.  Another thought comes to mind - and I'm no
expert on this, but traditional perennial plants, when they die back, go
dormant.  Many bulbs are never completely dormant, like Lilium, even though
they may seem to be.

Her broad definition of: "...herbaceous perennials as those that die back to
the ground in the winter and come up each spring.", doesn't apply to many
bulbs.  Grape Hyacinths are green all winter.  Tulips go dormant in summer.

Then you have the word bulb.  Is she including all geophytes?  corms?
(crocosmia), tubers (dahlias), and tuberous roots (daylilies)

She may have a certain technicality in her favor, but it opens up such a
huge can of worms, that it would simply be smarter to set geophytes off into
a separate category.  And even then, I have trouble with where to put
Hemerocallis. ;+)

Kitty