Re: seedling mulch

Kitty wrote:
Thanks for the lesson Jim.  Some of that was already floating around in my
brain.  When I water anything I water deeply and that's why I thought the
salts went out the bottom.  And I'm not particularly gentle about it, which
is why I like capillary matting for seeds ;+)  Also the fact that this crust
was black......well, I thought salts were white.  Still, I can understand
the possibility of salts building up and will consider this when I water
containers that have osmocote. I'm just not well-organized enough to use
liquid fert every other week.

Kitty
Yes, most fertilizer salts are white. But your dark crust indicates possibly
organic matter from the mix and dead algae, which would contribute to the
dark color. Since it hasn't been established that your crust has fertilizer
salts in it, maybe & possibly are about the best we can come up with.
Maybe you should send me a chunk of crust for _me_ to chew on...:-).
-jrf
--
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA