Re: Mystery plants

Christopher P. Lindsey wrote:
>>> #1/#6 flowers do look like clethra, but it definitely isn't a shrub- it
>>> has a trunk and is about 8 feet tall with a typical tree shape (I saw it
>>> in May- before it bloomed).
>>>
>> Clethra alnifolia can get 8' high and look treeish, so I'm still going to
>> stick with that.  :)
>>

> Actually, scratch that.  It didn't click that the leaves from #1 were the
> ones in #6, so it's definitely not a Clethra.
>
> I'm going to go with a Prunus of some sort then.  It could just be Prunus
> serotina (but the leaves are a little wide), or Prunus virginiana.  Do you
> know when it was blooming?

OK- it wasn't quite blooming when I was there in early May- but not sure
how much longer after it did bloom.  My guess would be late May??  I
looked up the viginiana- but on this plant the leaves start purple when
young and then turn green.  I do think you are on the right track
though- even the flowers look more accurate.  So, some variety of
chokecherry seems likely.  I'll have to ask her if any fruit are forming!
>>> #7 is a big mystery. Some kind of foundation shrub.
>>>
>> Wow!  So it's definitely a hardy plant there?  I thought that it might've
>> been some sort of tropical species.
>>
>> I like to think that I know woody plants, but this one has me, err,
>> stumped.
>>

> Oh, I meant to ask.  Do you know when this one was blooming?  I was
> assuming it was blooming now when you first posted it.  Is it woody?

No- it likely bloomed in June-ish (my sister is out of town right now
and not easily reachable- don't ask- she is only at my younger sister's
house, but getting a phone call through is a national event.....)  I'll
get more info next week.  I do believe it is woody.  Thanks for being
such a trooper with guessing based on incomplete info!

Theresa