Re: Deer

In a message dated 12/18/02 8:34:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dfranzma@pacbell.net writes:

> Note to Claire:  As much as I hate to say this to a new member but Claire
> your garden isn't more important to me as the wildlife that inhabit that
> area.  Believe me my garden is very important to me as well but a healthy
> environment is far more important as far as I'm concerned.

I should not be drawn to this but would comment that I fence 1 and 1/2
acres.  I own a great many more than that.  The rest is free to all wildlife
but the balance is upset.  I have owned my farm for nearly 12 years and spent
my young years in NYC alternating with the Adirondacks.  I have seen a lot of
deer, bears as well.  We in our family, by choice, do not shoot anything.
This discussion does show the many sides of a situation, I am welcomed and
cautioned in the same post.  Worry not, Marge and I have been around with the
deer for years and have heard most of these comments.  Would I live in a
suburban area and wish to garden, I would fence the garden.  Gardens are
history, they are therapy and I thought the subject of this list.
Environmental differences are not a garden topic though related.
Environmental issues widen the subject beyond the scope of gardening though I
expect that statement will also be challenged.  My comment now and the
animals being considered.  A fence, there are fences in the Bible, is not
blemish on the environment.  With that I retire from the deer issue.  I sat
on regional board for a while that dealt with deer.  Nobody on that board
rejected any thought presented. This issue is not going away.  From longtime
listening to hort. lists I have learned there is vast difference in culture
(gardening method) from one end of the country to the country and it follows
that opinion also differs.  There is, I hope, room for all.

Claire A.Peplowski
NYS z4