From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty Morrissy
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2002 7:21 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] RE: Theresa, found > fire

Well, that depends on which side of the fence you're on, Jim.
Those who do the burning never seem to thinks there's anything wrong with
it.  But if you'd just hung out your laundry, or just washed your hair, or
maybe you just enjoy breathing, it's a real hassle when someone else
decides it's a great time to start burning.  The laws here allow you to
burn in a barrel between 8am and 5pm if it is attended and with a hose
nearby. The one rule they forget to tell folks is that all of that is
superceded by personal air quality - meaning, if someone asks you to put it
out, you must.  If you don't, the victim can call the fire department and
they'll send a truck to put it out, and the fire nut has to pay the costs.

Before this went into effect, I would have to lose the vacation day I took
to work in my garden, because some idiot would burn his leaves.  My eyes
simply can't take it and I'd have to go indoors.  But now I can do
something about it.  We had a beautiful fall day not long ago and I opened
every window to air out the house.  Then some burning fanatic went into
action and all the carbon drifted into my house.  I had to drive out of the
addition and around to the other side to tell the guy to put it out.  And
there he had little kids with tiny lungs working that fire.