Re: I thought it would be fun for everyone to check in
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: I thought it would be fun for everyone to check in
  • From: bc14fd6d1@rewrite.hort.net
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 17:29:12 -0500

Hi all....Noreen, in Houston......haven't been active much on the garden chat for some years.  I'm having trouble with the new format, used to know people's email addy's so could figure out who was who, but now, if posters don't sign or say who they are, I have no clue....so I have a hard time keeping up with conversations.

Still in Houston, still active in the different plant societies, although am not as active in a few that I used to be more active in.  Finally finished the International judging school, with specialty in Bromeliads, Succulents, and artistic design.  Lost so many plants and half my house with hurricane Ike, then the subsequent super hard freezes that followed, that I had a dickens of a time even getting the number of plants required to be a judge back. Things were a bit tough with the job situation at that time too.  Had thoughts of it being a perfect time to get out of plants, but being an addicted, fanatical plant lover, there was absolutely no way.  haha  Went through a couple floods from then through this year, worst being during Memorial day weekend 2015....but we all (plants, animals and humans) survived that too.  Seems every time there is a really rough period, there are some wonderful things that come from it.....especially with dear friends.  Things could be much worse, and I'm grateful nothing has been worse.  My mom is still alive and doing well, thank goodness, she turned 89 the 26th of Dec.

Many of you are animal people as well as plant......when I first met many of you, I had 7 dogs, and 7 cats.  I can't believe I'm back to 7 cats again, and 7 dogs, 3 added this year alone.....all rescues, and one a foster, while his folks are in Saudi (no dogs allowed).  Also, a friend talked me into taking in a parrot from the National Parrot Rescue and Preservation, which resulted in a few more, in the past 5 years or so.  Still have my ponds with turtles, frogs, fish etc. although I lost all my gold fish and the butterfly Koi with Ike.....23 days of no electricity and high heat doesn't do well for filtration and aeration.  Haven't replaced the fish, but do still have the native mosquito fish, Gambusia.  Have, in the past decade, taken in quite a few native land turtles that were unable to be released by the Gulf Coast Turtle and Tortoise rescue group.  So it's a jungle and zoo at my house and garden, with all free roaming, but I would not want it any other way.  :-)

I've been really thrilled to keep in touch with quite a few of you, especially Pam, Jesse, Chris, Jim, and a few others on Facebook......I really miss being in touch with many of you, who are not on (or not as active on Facebook), that I've come to know through the years before when this was still the American Hort. Society group.  I often think of many of you, the friendships formed, etc.  Thanks ya'll!!!!  ♥♥

Wishing all of you a very Happy New Year!!  So good to hear from many of you, great idea for the check in!!!
Hugs!!!
Noreen