Re: Brr it's cold and seeds

Lord only knows, Claire.  I see on the weather that the next storm is
coming up from the south and may hit them harder than us and then
head out over the water and on up to you guys.  I would say, maybe
south Georgia and Florida might be snow free?  NC is supposed to have
highs around 49 instead of 29 or 39 this weekend, so you might head
there, but they could get hit with the next snow:-)

You are supposed to have hard winters...you live in NY!  I'm supposed
to have mildish winters, being south of the Mason-Dixon line, but old
Ma Nature did not pay attention to the map this year and opened the
door from Canada to blasts of arctic air we have not seen for many a
year.  This is the coldest winter in 7 or 9 years - depending on
which weatherperson you listen to.  Sheesh.  Your plants may not have
spring until July, but will likely have suffered less winter damage
than mine, who are not used to this and have not had continuous
protective snow cover...

I don't like to think about taking off in plane in snowy, freezing
weather...noo noo..

Agree, jacket weather would be nice.  It was supposed to be 50F last
Monday/Tuesday, so I arranged to take off work to get out in the
garden. HA!  Almost froze my nose and other portions of anatomy off,
but out I went and out I stayed until I couldn't stand it any longer;
fingers and toes numb.  Did get some leaves up off the paths tho' and
spied little bulb noses poking through the frozen ground, so figure
spring is going to arrive one of these years as bulbs know what
humans don't....can't be any too soon for me.  Massive tree debris
everywhere to pick up along with last fall's leaves that did not get
up because the weather has not let me out the door since end of
November:-(  I have so much to clean up, spring clean up will
probably not get done until August!

Now, we have a good blanket of snow out there.  Well, since it's
supposed to have lows in the low teens the rest of the week, that's
OK as it will help insulate plants, but what I want is 50s...not
teens!  I am also sick unto death looking at white stuff - as I know
you must be.  Really, I'm not sure I could take your winters!!!

This winter, for the first time I can recall, my Galanthus are just
in bud now, when they are usually blooming their heads off all
through Jan.  Poor Hellebores.  H. foetidus 'Wester Flisk' is so
ready to bloom and hanging their heads from the cold; lookin' so sad.
 The x hybridus guys have flower buds still tucked in at ground level
with foliage that has taken a real beating.  And my poor, poor H.
argutifolius look like hell - snow has beaten their foliage to the
ground and bent the stems over (do not think they will recover) and
it's all burned...a real mess.  I have not had kind words for Ma
Nature recently.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: ECPep@aol.com
>  Happy to hear you have some winter as well as those of us up the
coast a
> bit.  Ours started around the first of November and it has snowed
every week
> since.  Three or four inches today with below zero and snow for
Sunday on.