Back from vacation

  • Subject: Back from vacation
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:17:03 -0800

We had a great time in Arizona.  The weather mostly cooperated too. It
was overcast and fairly cool the first day, and it did rain for a few
hours that night. We were a little concerned since we'd passed twenty
miles of road signs warning about flash flood danger but no problems,
and the next morning we woke up to clear skies and sun. I think the
highs were probably in the low 70s, and it got down to about 40 at
night.  We learned a lot about the strengths and weaknesses of our
trailer set-up.
We rode all 3 days, saw some great scenery and an old turquoise mine, a
few wildflowers were blooming. I got attacked by a jumping cholla cactus
too.  We had stopped for lunch and I was leading my horse to a flat spot
so I could get back on, trying to avoid the cholla on my left. Then
something grabbed my leg on the right, it was two big hunks of cholla I
guess my horse had kicked up. Well, I thought, I'll just pull my jeans
gently away from my leg and shake them loose. But no, the spines went
through the fabric and firmly into my skin. Okay, I'm wearing leather
gloves, I'll grab it and pull it out. But no! Now I have the two hunks
of cactus in my leg plus spines embedded in my glove. DH came over and
got my Leatherman tool out of the saddlebags. He pulled hard on one hunk
and it flew out of my leg and got stuck on his. Hey we're twins... We
did eventually get it all pulled off and the only result was a nice
bruise on my calf where the needles were stuck. The whole thing was
fortunately much more amusing than painful.  I had been thinking my
nephew who was wearing chaps was a bit duded up but now I'm considering
buying my own pair.
It rained at home while we were gone but not as bad as had been
forecast. It's been cloudy for days with the occasional sprinkle. I did
some raking in the front garden over the weekend, but we spent more time
working on the trailer to get all the little deficiencies fixed while we
still remembered them.  Still, the front garden looks much better than
it did. I think I can get the rest of the leaves before the daffodils
bloom (can't rake then, I'd destroy the flowers) and if it doesn't look
like a thing of beauty it at least won't look abandoned.