Re: no greenhouse question
  • Subject: Re: no greenhouse question
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:03:44 -0500

Gene, your place just keeps "growing"! Personally, I think trying these new techniques keep the business interesting. I mean, it is always fun & interesting but never changing the plan can make the every day of it feel a bit stale. In hort, there's always something you haven't yet tried.

I had looked into HID before, but considered them too expensive because my need isn't usually that great. However, this year is out of the ordinary for me in some ways. Also, I sold off my irrigation system yesterday, so I have a few extra $ to put into something I can use.

Since I will have to close the MG nursery down by the end of May, I wanted to get a few things in that would sell out in May to help our fund-raising effort while it's still possible. Since 30 of an item is too much to sell, I am taking 1/3 to sell at my own sale. And since I'll be doing most of the work, and since I have most March afternoons off, but little time available in April, well, I just ordered stuff to come in in March. The only thing really holding me back is available light. This 400w lamp, when coupled with early-season sunlight is supposed to provide enough light for an 8x8 ft space. My FL room is 10x12 which will give me room to walk around the perimeter. And I might need to put a fan out there to provide air circulation. Just have to rig a way to hang the light out there.

I also use small heat mats to get some items interested in growing. I pot up Mirabilis tubers, sometimes dahlias and set them on the mats. Some late starters like Asclepias that I order in dormant get put on the mats too.

I almost always end up bringing my cuttings into the garage for the winter. I start them in June and it seems they just aren't big enough to be left outside all winter. Garage is about 50 degrees unless it really get low outside.

neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene Bush" <genebush@netsurfusa.net>