RE: Problem area

Thanks for your reply.

The soil in that area is mostly sand.  I would have to bring in some
compost and maybe even topsoil.  Some morning sun reaches that area, but
I'm thinking that if I put up a fence, the sun will only reach the top
of the fence. There's no watering system over there, but I can get to it
with a hose.  I doubt that I'd be too ambitious about dragging a hose to
that spot more than to get some plants established.  I just got some
hunter green hanging baskets with water reservoirs through a mail order
source.  They turned out to be larger than I imagined.  I'm thinking
about using a few of them there, but I'd have to attach them to
something,  Maybe I could use an open screening with the pots hanging
from it.  Vines could grow on it as well. If I planted the vines on my
neighbors side of the screen (where the sun would be) , I could enjoy
any bloom on the top.  I could probably get some of the more shade
tolerant clematis to grow there.

We are zone 7, but not the same kind of 7 as you see in points further
south.  I am in a "warm pocket' of Long Island as Auralie commented.  I
can grow some plants that would be considered marginal on Long Island
due to being in the Sound.  Still, there are plants that should survive
here that don't possibly due to our sandy soil, winds, etc.  We have
flooding every 5 or 6 years.  I haven't lost a lot of plants to flooding
even when the ground was covered for days.

Long Island, NY
Zone 7