RE: update on garden/bottle brush

Bill and have done that every place we've moved.  Even with little "extra"
cash around to spend after the purchase of a home and a move, we just can't
live on a lot without trees.  We just have to buy very young
trees--saplings!  Right now, the little pines we put in the front yard 6
years ago are now about 8' trees!  Bill thought it would be decades before
they were that large.  LOL.  As it turns out, the 6' pines we put in the
back yard about 4 years ago are no larger than the tiny ones we had planted
first in the front yard that were only a foot tall.  I think the pines in
the front yard "settled" in better as saplings and I know there was less
transplant stress as the "root balls" had no "hacked" roots on them.

The deciduous saplings have been the same story.  None of them are more than
6 years old and many of them are now 7-9' tall!  Our walnuts have really
amazed us!  We thought it would take decades for them to give us much
shade/screen value near the street, but they shot up like gangbusters this
year and the squirrels are mighty happy with the nuts they find!  The only
tree we haven't been successful with was that Linden we finally had to pull
out last year.

Centerville is known as an "All American City" because of our treed streets
and yards.  There are mandated "green space" areas in every addition.  There
are enough "scrap" trees around that even empty green space areas soon begin
to have sapling poke up and shortly thereafter, as the trees have grown,
begin to shade and sport more types of wildlife.  It really is a win-win!

Donna, I think you will inspire others in your area to plant trees.  Just
give neighbors a little time in the hot sun before inviting them into your
shade under a lovely tree and they will see the logic.

Blessings,
Bonnie