Re: Glass Flowers

In a message dated 11/15/2003 11:10:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
L_Valentine@adelphia.net writes:

> I was lucky!  I am surprised this collection is not better known - maybe
> the
> new display room will help.  I had never heard of it, yet it's the only
> collection of its kind in the world, and it's right there in Cambridge.  Of
> course I also didn't know Harvard had a Museum of Natural History, let alone
> a botanical museum of which this display is a permanent part...

Aren't those amazing, Libby!  I saw them -oh, it must be 15 years ago now
when my DH was on a trip to Cambridge.  I didn't often travel with him, but
begged to go along that time just to see the glass flowers.  What a thrill that
was!  I had read about them as a child in the 30s.  A neighbor had been a
subscriber to the weekly LIFE magazine (anyone else old enough to remember that?) and
had all the back issues saved in a stack in her attic.  We couldn't afford to
subscribe, but the neighbor was kind enough to let me sit on her attic stairs
and read them - and lots of other stuff she had there.  I was an avid reader
then, as now.  There was a feature on these glass flowers that had stuck in my
mind for all those years- must have been at least 40 years later when I
finally got to see them.  I remember reading that they were so natural that when
one cracked, it cracked along the vein lines of the leaf, just as it would have
done in nature.
  I'm so glad they are still in existance and on view.  The exhibit said,
when I saw it, that there was some deterioration from vibrations from traffic,
etc.  Maybe that has been fixed.  Who was it who said "Life is so full of a
number of things, I think we should all be happy as kings?"  This certainly fits
into that category.  So glad you saw them, and shared with us.
Auralie