RE: Greenhouse problems

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: RE: Greenhouse problems
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 09:11:39 -0800

I always repot my plants from the nursery so in my case I think it is
just incompetence. :-) I drowned the first lemon tree, I know for sure.
This last one...I don't know. I was putting the pot outside for the
summer, and the ground squirrels were biting off all the immature
lemons, so I put it out front where they couldn't get to it. But that
spot is out of my direct sight so it was harder for me to remember to
check on it. I was a little concerned because it was getting more water
than it needed, didn't look so good, so I moved it to get less water.
Then we had this awful heat wave, it was around 110 for days and days,
and when I remembered to look at it - dead. Oh well.
I think you'll be happy when you get the corrugated plastic for your
greenhouse. Mine has been up for about 10 years and looks just as good
as new. The only thing I would have done differently is to get a bigger
exhaust fan. I've thought about setting up a misting system but decided
I don't really need it for what I grow in there, it's mostly a space to
keep my patio plants over the winter and start seeds in spring.
On the canning...I offer this in a friendly spirit...you might consider
that the internet has lots of just plain wrong information. What's the
risk? Probably not a lot. But the USDA, through scientific testing,
tells me that cake in a jar has more potential for botulism growth and
cannot be done with surety at home; the batter in the interior of the
jar will not be cooked for long enough or at high enough heat to kill
bacteria, if there are any present. And you can't be sure that there's
no bacteria present. You can't smell it, you can't taste it, you can't
see it. We all choose what risks we take in life - for instance, I ride
horses, it's inherently risky. I mitigate the risk to myself somewhat by
wearing a helmet, and no others are put in danger - to me the enjoyment
of riding outweighs the risk of injury. I pressure-can vegetables grown
in my own garden, that also has inherent risks. I mitigate the risk to
extremely low by following the USDA guidelines to the letter and I also
don't subject others who eat my food to risks they are not aware of; the
enjoyment/cost savings of eating my home-canned food is nowhere worth
the risk of paralysis or death from botulism poisoning so I take no
chances.  If it were me, I'd freeze my cake - it's safer and the quality
will be better.