Re: So...

That's true. So everything that doesn't need lots of room [heliconias, begonias, orchids, and the like], is jammed together. Everything that needs room, gets almost as much as it wants. And I keep whittling away at the lawn.

Ms. Fatma has wanted a yaupon holly for the longest time; she likes the angular, shaggy, almost-unkempt way it grows. So today we gathered some cuttings and will see if we can get them to root. Incidentally, my two cuttings from the fringed hibiscus seem to be doing it, but it's too early to be sure. The cuttings of Jatropha that I put in for all who asked seem to have failed. If that turns out to be the case, I'll try more in the spring. I know it can be done because I've done it.

We've got one area--bed, actually--that we're about to overhaul. When we first bought this place, we planted a privacy hedge of Duranta at the end of the front patio that faces the side street. And then because Duranta grows fast and eventually becomes high-maintenance ratty, we planted a row of cocoplums behind them. Now the cocoplums are 10 to 12 feet tall and very full to the ground, so it's time for the Duranta to go. Something we'll have to hire out, but once they are gone, their bed will make a wonderful place [southeast facing] to plant the six columnar whortleberry cactuses we are holding in pots.

On Sunday, October 24, 2004, at 12:24 PM, Kitty wrote:

Have you ever come back from an excursion with nothing? You really seem to
have a knack for finding things. But where do you put it all? The palm
does sound quite nice.
----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: "Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2004 5:07 PM
Subject: [CHAT] So...

What's happening today? Everyone huddled by the furnace, or what? I
found a nice little triangle palm [Dypsis decaryi] at HD this morning.
Six inch pot, maybe 18 inches tall, labeled "Tropical Foliage" for
about $5.00. Been wanting one for a long time but didn't want to spring
for the larger ones I saw. This purchase brings us to having at least
10 different species of palms at the plantation and maybe two dozen
trees in all.

Triangle palm is so named because the trunk has a triangular shape.
Quite interesting. The trunk also has to reddish color and the fronds
are dark green. Quite handsome.

Island Jim Southwest Florida 27.0 N, 82.4 W Zone 10a Minimum 30 F [-1 C]

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Zone 10a