RE: strange gardening year

Our weather has been cooler and wetter...13" above average so far for the
year.  The last rain, yesterday, brought in cooler weather - 62 degrees and
it is supposed to dip to 43 degrees tonight...we may have to bring in some
plants.  Yesterday, we spent pruning AGAIN.  I also did my Southern thing
and finally planted a Lagerstroemia...Natchez, since it is more resistant
to mildew and has cinnamon brown bark...I have been working on fall and
winter interest by planting natives that show significant fall color and
deciduous holly for berries.  (Did you know that the berries on Forest
Pansy are too big for most of our song birds...what a shame since it is
such a beautiful specimen.)

As in Donna's area, there are only hints of fall here and there...Sassafras
albidum, Oxydendrum arboreum, Cornus florida, Itea virginica, Fothergilla
gardenii, and Calycanthus floridus have hints of color...Euonymus
americanus, Callicarpa americana, and Ilex verticillata are full of
berries.  Veronia gigantea, Vernonia noveboracensis, Asters, Coreopsis,
Angelonia, Solidago, Cosmos, Celosia and Colchicum are blooming, while
Physostegia virginiana, Rudbeckia fulgida, zinnias are just hanging on.
Once the temps dip tonight, things should really change.

What are carpet roses?

Bonnie Zone 6+ ETN