Re: Hosta planted to deep froms a second crown at right depth.(don't count on it!)

If I understand correctly what you are describing, I saw this last spring on a 5-6 yrs. old Sagae I had to dig up.  It had 4 or 5 crowns all one underneath the other, the deepest being about 6 or so inches below the surface and the closest about 2 inches.  It was almost as if different plants had been planted on top of each other over the years.  Each section seperated from the other without any fuss.  Growth was only evident from the top 2 (one of which was rotting, reason for digging).  I potted them up seperately and after a while a couple started to send up leaves but very tiny ones.
mail to:  "township@acbm.qc.ca"
----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Nelson
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 8:01 PM
Subject: Hosta planted to deep froms a second crown at right depth.(don't count on it!)

I saw some interesting growth on a hosta one time that was planted to deeply. The original crown must have been planted 4 inches or so below the ground initially and the shoots had grown well and the hosta looked normal. When the crown was dug a year or two later there was almost two crowns. The first crown was 4 inches deep and it was connected to a second crown that had formed 1 inch below ground. The shoots has grown roots along their sides and formed a second rhizome at the correct planting depth. I divided the two rhizomes and had two separate hostas.
I would not count on this happening often though. I have very sandy soil and that may have enabled this to happen.