Re: west nile virus

  • Subject: Re: west nile virus
  • From: "Ann James" annfree@earthlink.net
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 08:57:06 -0500

We have confirmed cases in Montgomery County where we live and several in
adjacent Harris County, including one death.  I don't think you need to
worry about your koi ponds if you have pumps circulating the water, or
birdbaths if you change the water with some frequency.

Since I am the main mosquito attractant around here, I baste myself with Off
when I go outdoors.  Some mosquitoes make it indoors, too, whereupon I lunge
for the Off.

What worries me most is that the Asian tiger skeeter, which will chase you
down any time of the day, in addition to the culex sort of house mosquito
that indulges in blood mostly at dawn and dusk.  Asians can lay eggs in your
rain gutter debris.  And I go out and scrape up those stiff magnolia leaves
that always fall cupped side up and hold Just Enough Water to be a real
mosquito nursery.

We've ordered a zapper that comes with a lure.  We looked at the expensive
systems that require propane tanks every three weeks and decided we weren't
strong enough to wrestle with the things.  West Nile is a real threat mostly
because it's fairly new and the general population doesn't have any immunity
built up.  Saint Louis Encephalitis, a similar disease, has been around a
long time and doesn't appear to be as big a threat as it first was.

Ann James
Conroe, Texas